Monday 22 October 2012

Coyote Ugly

Road Runner Pic courtes of  Boomerang

Running down the road at great speeds while a trail of dust pursues, taking sharp corners and all you could see is its beak...once in a while it would come to a hault and go like "mic mic" flashing its tongue, wiggle its tail then burst out in lightening speed. I didn't like the road runner, I was always on the coyote's side but he kept on pissing me off on how he spent money on ACME equipment and they all backfired.Anyway am happy he kills the bird in that episode on "family guy",it comes to show that once we focus on our goals all will come to pass :D please don't inflict harm on one another. So we are back from a weekend that I can conclude as just their, some of as worked, others slept in, some partied, while most were on twitter.  I salute everyone who attended, watched or heard the Mashujaa Day Celebration. Us much as we hate our politicians some things should not shake our patriotism.


Patch....
I believe blogs are for people to display their thoughts on a particular issue, create dynamics to an argument and point out possible solutions, talk of justifying myself. Let me take you way, waaaaaay back to my high school days. I was in The Prince of Whales School now known us Nairobi School but famously as Patch, can I get an Amen. I enjoyed my days in school, that's the last two years if you know what I mean.When you got admitted to Patch we were given a booklet with school rules, on my final year, I got the booklet and broke every rule marking them to make sure I did it. YES, I swum with my uniform on including shoes and blazer, skived evening preps, steal chicken from the farm and boil it in a basin with tongs attached to the light bulb then eat it half raw, attend every funky be it a symposium, drama, music fest, Christian Union, French yaani I was in all clubs even History club which I dropped in class 7. My first year wasn't a plan, duh I got bulled mostly by Collo kleptomaniacs, you might know him from that song I like tweeting, YOU GUY, alinistress, but the good thing about him is he used to buy us mandazi when he was in a good mood. He made me wash a tree with a soapy water, blow out an electric bulb and go introduce myself as a form one to a chic when we had funkys. We meet at rave and town randomly and laugh about it but bigup to dj Nruff, he was a cool guy. He saved my ass from this mean pips lol.

Now to the story, one day during a geography class,  mrs.  Barasa a.k.a "back 10" (this name was derived from where her hair line started) rugby guys will get the joke :D anyway she was giving us a lecture on Sedimentary Rocks(am a geek i recall details). It was a hot afternoon and with my dreams of being a surgeon I din't get why I needed to learn about rocks, 8.4.4. still needs to be reviewed. Since no one was getting the lecture we jokingly requested for a tour and just like that the genie granted our first wish. Naivasha Olkaria was where the road trip was scheduled. Fast forward to the day. Well we had two buses at that time and we opted to go in the old bus and come back in the new one, reason is still untold. By 9am we had left school and on our way towards the Rift Valley but whoa unto us. The bus got a flat tyre in  Mount View and it took forever to fix. So a plan came up, apparently we knew a pal of ours who stayed around so we decided to go visit. Nigga made us breakfast and we watched cartoons. An hour later we started making our way to the bus. Strolling and laughing like we owned the streets #TeamTNA :D Intretsting thing is we saw the guys in front of us running but we assumed, how can the teachers leave a couple of students behind. Ripley's Believe It Or Not, we were left behind. Going back to school would have been an indefinite expulsion or suspension. So the brains among us, Lee decided we follow the bus to Naivasha, we were six boys, from the same class, who sat at the corner in class and never missed in the noisemakers list every evening. Now you get why I talk alot, I started my career way back.

We hired a a random matatu and made our way to Naivasha, the plan was to sneak into the crowd of students when the teachers weren't looking, i know it sounds stupid but stick with me. At every junction on the highway we stopped a random person asking if they saw a Nairobi School bus, which most of them did but some ass hole replied this way, "munadhani kazi yangu ni kukaa hapa kuangalia magari ziki pita?" lol ten-nil.
After an hour we got to Naivasha town, this was the problem. If we missed the bus their we had no money to get back to Nairobi. We got on the Olkaria route and after 15mins the matutu guy stopped asking us to top up or the ride would end their, clearly we just had to alight and get our walk on. The sun was blazing not mention the dust, plus no car passed by. 2hours later we got to the gate of the National Park. For those who dont know, Olkaria Power Station is in the National Park. This mean look army guy approached us, made us kneel and claim why we were left behind. He then huddled us in a small room in which we couldn't even sit, it was so small we stood shoulder to shoulder,  lady soldier felt sorry for us and let us in. Ok this is the intresting part, this lady allowed us to walk into a park with wild animals roaming bila a tour guard, now its when its hitting me SMH, I swear she doesn't have kids lol. Funny thing was we saw hyenas from a far but our goal was to find the school bus, the thought of what my mother would do to me because i got suspended freaked the soul out of me. God forbid if she reads this blog :D
Olkaria
2hrs in, we came across a sign, ati Olkario 9.9km ahead. "f*ck it" i remember saying. I wasn't going to walk that distance. I sat on the side of the road and told my pals the bus would find me their as it was exiting the park. I had gone through a lot and if a cheetah found me their, well and good i was saved and heaven would have been the only option. My hands were swollen and I tasted dirt in my mouth, I had sweat so hard I wouldn't even mind onion juice to quench my thirst.In the midest of us arguing the first bus appeared from the horizon, somebody say, ""YMCA dance." We flagged it down like a traffic police hustling a "number tisa". Imagine it passed right by us and carried on. Talk about a slap to the face, choking on the dust it left behind. How can the driver be such an ass and pull such a stunt, i mean we were teenagers within a death prone area. So the second bus came into view, we did the same thing and it passed like they dint see us. In my head it was all a dream and I couldn't wait to wake up from it. A hundred meters from us it stopped. Hussein Blot could have seen the sprint we made, but the driver stepped on the gas each time we got near the bus, we knew it was punishment but we just had to bare with it. The bus eventually stopped and we got in. Mrs. Barasa was breathing fire. The tour was over and we were going back to school. Our plans for sneaking in went down the drain, it was definitely a suspension letter to expect the following morning but hey, it was an experience and the name Coyote Ugly came up. We were legends me, Netha, Kairo, Lee, Clive and Ng'ash. We even made plans to do t shirts, apparently the tour was boring so we dint miss anything. This were the times in my teenage life I laugh at the risk I took and truly remember there is an Angel watching over all of us. Life is short YOLOing ain a bad a idea once in a while. For the suspension we dint get it because it all boils down to the teachers responsibility on us, in short there jobs were on the line if it got reported. Until the next blogpost keep it bura, reality, life experience plus fashion is all about we.




Dan Obura
Managing Director
Bura Creations®
P.O.BOX 51306-00200
NAIROBI, KENYA
TEL: +254 725 932 277
twitter: @dan_obura @buramag
facebook: bura creations

1 comment: