Monday 1 October 2012

Bura Mag Transition


I don’t like pulling pranks. Not that I do mind. I do pull pranks on people from time to time. I like laughing when I see them swallow the lies. I like to observe their reactions after realizing it was, well, a prank. But I do fear pulling pranks of huge magnitudes, you know, the kind that makes people plan their lives around your lies, okay, joke. The ones that make their hearts race, the ones that make them tense with anticipation. Those ones.

 Not so for Dan. He can pull them left,right, and centre. He can pull one on you, and while you are laughing after discovering it was a prank, he pulls another one on you.
 That is what he did sometime back- on April fool’s day. I can’t remember whether it was last year or the other year. The point is he call pull a hell hurricane of a prank- he told guys he was going to, was it Austria? So he decides to organize a farewell bash. And guys curse and diss and celebrate, raise all kinds of ruckus on FB and the other online hangout joints that you know. It is a farewell bash for him, so, if you gonna attend, click going.

bura fans at the Pool Party launch
I didn’t curse, I didn’t vent in public. I didn’t care. I am a man, and men don’t care. So I kept quiet, and pretended everything was cool. A win- win situation. Because when it turned out a prank, I acted like I knew. I wasn’t punked. Really? Naah! I was kinda pissed off too. Coz I was beginning to really like the magazine. But I kept quiet. Like a real man. And life went on.

It happened, the bash. But the departure never happened. Well you know that by now; because it was a prank. And life went on. But one comment stuck. Why are you killing the mag?
There was no intention to kill the mag. But the concern was genuine. It also showed that someone else was a stakeholder in the mag. Of course the reader is important, very important. The reader is the magazine’s raison d’etre. So we decided to kill the magazine, the old form of the magazine, in order to create the new one. It was a metamorphosis. 

That is the reason why Bura meets you again on this platform; it is better, more colorful, edgier, interesting and well, cool. Soon, we are giving you an app for your phone. It only gets better from here.
Lunch with E. Pasaris  & other media reps.

The congregation of great minds is what Bura is. I am greatly fascinated by African names, cool African names. More especially if they have content. If they have character. If they have personality. It is a plenty in Africa, personality. But we love that thing, that unexplainable factor that makes something stand out. Africa has gone global. It went a long time ago when colonialists came for our resources. But this going global is different. Africa has gone to the rest of the world. And the Africa that has gone to the rest of the world brings home the rest of the world. That’s why we have Asia and America in Bura. That is why we hope to get the other continents into Bura. Part of the Bura family, in New York and China is all ready to give your magazine a global feel. Whatever that goes down in the big apple and our photographer happens to get wind of it, and there is a pretty good ear on that photographer, you will see it right here.

So as that girl asked what will happen to the magazine, we did too ask ourselves, and the response is what you are seeing and will be seeing in the future. The future starts now. That journey of a thousand miles-allow me to use that cliché-just began with a single step. A step of authenticity, beguiling authenticity. Always inviting, like African coffee.
the future is bura...
 Just like coffee. We will be darker, thicker, heavier and tastier..damn we will be addictive too. Whether you like black; no sugar no cream, or white, we will cover your taste buds. So now, if you happen to come across us while you in a place where you can make yourself a nice cuppa, make it the way you want and take it while indulging in Bura. You will then understand what I am talking about.



 Article by, Abu (bura writer) 
bura creations ltd.
p.o. box 51306-00200
Nairobi, Kenya
Tel: +254725932277
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/buramag

1 comment: